Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ole creaky Bone show

Not Samson


My dog Samson is so old and lazy, from the comfort of my easy chair, I have to exercise him by throwing popcorn kernels into different parts of the room. I guess popcorn tastes just as good to dogs as it does to humans, Samson can't get enough of the stuff.

Our walks have become abbreviated in recent months as Samson's arthritis begins to set in, poor lit'l fella. We used to be able to walk for 45 mins exploring the neighborhood, peaking into neighbors windows trying to catch a glimpse of the lives of others, don't get me wrong, I'm not wearing a pair of binoculars around my neck, just casually observing my surroundings.

Samson has his routine down, gets it done and turns around to head back inside to his favorite spot. He has had a few favorite nesting spots in our place, the top of the sofa being the kings throne to both of the dogs. Whenever Samson is not occupying it, Baxter is happy to jump up and take his place.

Lately Samson has been nesting in the curtain that gathers along the ground of our dining room window.  Next to the window Aaron has placed a four foot Greek column that elevates a bronze urn he bought in an antique shop. Aaron and I have joked that Samson is claiming that particular urn for his own, post life, when he is in the form of ash. Makes me sad to think about it, but being a 14 year old dog I realize I need to prepare for the inevitable.

But don't crank up the furnace just yet, I think Samson has some good days ahead of him. I kiss him on the head every time I carry him down the steps, hopefully this comforts him, I don't see why it wouldn't. Doesn't everybody liked to be kissed and held by their beer breath owner?  Ohh well, it sure as hell makes me feel better. 
Puppy lovin, doncha agree,
the fun begins when you are with me. 

 Samson, oh Samson. 
Yah lift your leg while you  take a pee.
 oh Samson, oh Samson.

 Me love you, oh me Love you to the 10th degree.
  
 la la la la la la la la la la......10th DeGree!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post.
    Samson sounds like quite the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to be kissed on the head by my beer breathed owner - although it is coffee breath. Anyway, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Westie that has Westie Lung Disease (you know it's bad when it's named after you) so I know the time is coming to an end. I've had him for 13 years so I guess I should have had a clue - but having a terminal diagnosis pretty much takes the guess work out of it. I love him to pieces and I try to show him every day - which of course is going to make it hurt that much more when he goes.

    ReplyDelete