Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chitty Chitty my Bang Bang



If the option is possible I would like to live my next life as a fly girl.

I was introduced to the fly girl concept in the early 90's when I first tuned in to the Wayan Brothers tv comedy show "In living Color". Hilarious show that featured and launched the careers of all the Wayan brothers, Jim Carrey and Jamie Fox.

One notable performer that could be seen sweatin it up in an off the shoulder top and a pair of leggings, was the lovable Jennifer Lopez. I had never heard of a fly girl prior to this so in my mind, J LO is the original fly girl.

or maybe it was Flash Dance's Jennifer Beals?

I was kidding around with a co worker this past weekend while working a music festival. He started to busta move underneath our food tent, rockin his shoulders back and forth to the music, I suggested he would make a great fly girl. He being a straight man quickly corrected me and introduced me to an entirely new term, The Hype Man.

these are the guys who stand on stage and get the crowd pumped and feelin the cool groove, the flava of the hour. My vision involves a microphone and a dude yelling different catch phrases to the crowd & waving their arms back and forth.

Come on, come on, come on

What! You gonna be sweatin

Stand up, feel the beats in your feets

Yeah, I'm still thinkin the fly girl is the better route for me, my Hype Man crowd chatter would probably fall short

Alright people, tap your toes & sip those cocktails....alright

Let's huddle together and jump in unison! Whoa you can do it

Put you right arm in, put your right arm out....come on, its the Hokey Pokey


I wonder if being fly and full of hype gets old after awhile? There has to be the occasion when a Hype man himself needs a lit'l boost. That would be the ultimate use of life, to hype up a Hype Man or to motivate a Fly girl into her tights and encourage her to spin, whip her hair and get that body movin.

So we ain't gonna stumble and fall
Never
Waiting to see a sign of defeat
 So we gonna keep everyone
Moving their feet
So bring back the beat
And then everyone sing
 It's not about the money, money, money
We don't need your money, money, money
We just wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the price tag
Jessie J "Price Tag"


6 comments:

  1. I loved In Living Colour but a fly girl, too many problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd prefer Fly Girl over Hype Man.
    It even sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn it. Now I wanna be a fly girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh Fly Girls & In Living Color -- LOVED that show!

    I DEF wanna be a Fly Girl (again)!

    And on a side note: No matter how much I try to not like JLo -- I end up being fascinated by her -- bottom line she is dropped dead HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The so called "hype man" was originally called a barker and should still be so called. You would make a great fly girl, Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll become a fly girl, but only if I don't have to marry Marc Anthony. He looks like a corpse.

    ReplyDelete