Monday, May 30, 2011

Red White Blue equals a lovely Lavender


 over the last 231 years along with the covert and overt operations such as; Grenada, Panama, Mogadishu, and the Balkans you end up with a tally of nearly 1,346,000+ men and women who've given their lives to protect the freedoms and interests of United States of America.

As with most american's, I have been given the day off of work.  Normally I would rise, get showered and dressed; walk the dogs, quickly gather my supplies and make my way to work but today, aaron and I plan to ride bikes, go to the beach and maybe dig a few more holes for our garden project.  WHY? because we as a nation are celebrating the service men and women who given their lives for our country, The United States of America.






The weather happens to be amazing today; Chicago has perfect sun and is gearing up for an 85 degrees. In honor of service men and women, Aaron and I will do what most Americans do, BBQ, Beach and Beans. We don't have plans to visit a cemetery, I may turn on the national broadcast of Obama laying a wreath down backed up by the sounds from a US Military Band.  As i sit and think about what these soldiers have given up I am humbled and saddened.  both Aaron and I have family members who have died in battle.  My Grandfather's brother was shot down in World War II and Aaron's sister's brother in law was killed in Iraq during Dessert Storm, both young and very talented men who must've woke up each day dedicated to our fight. I've stared at pictures of both these gentlemen and it brings me to tears, I catch myself thinking about the men they'd be today, the families they could have raised but I stop myself.  I could be sad about the men they could've become but I would be foolish to forget the men they were and the ultimate sacrifice they offered to our country. Their lives were short but their lives were rich and full off honor, both will be in my heart today. 










DADT has been repealed since the last memorial day, I am glad the military and the american public are acknowledging all service men and women and allowing them to serve openly w/ honor.

3 comments:

  1. Have a great day doing the B-B-B thing... beans?

    Anyway, thanks for visiting as well. You made me laugh. You know, there IS a men's top that is to support breast cancer. Just an FYI. haaha.
    http://www.cafepress.ca/Estrogoodies.531729583

    ReplyDelete
  2. " ......over the last 231 years along with the covert and overt operations such as; Grenada, Panama, Mogadishu, and the Balkans you end up with a tally of nearly 1,346,000+ men and women who've given their lives to protect the freedoms and interests of United States of America", frightening number and a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you see that number, it puts everything into perspective, where it should be.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete